Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mission Statement

I suppose I became a "serious" amateur photographer in May 2012 when I took some classes at the urging of my wife. I wasn't sure what to expect but I found that I was kind of excited to be assigned homework at the first class. When I went camping the next weekend, my photography seemed more focused (pardon the unavoidable pun) because I was actively looking for leading lines and symmetry around me rather than just something interesting to take a picture of.

In the year since then, I haven't lost my enthusiasm for having an assignment. I've learned a lot from watching videos and reading blogs, articles, books, and e-books. But I think I've retained the information better when I've made a conscious decision to immediately apply it - that is, to go out and deliberately try to use a specific composition method or certain camera settings. Eventually, I started keeping a list of these "assignments". At this moment, it has 41 items on it.

My intention here is to gradually put this list out in the open, along with examples of my own work. I'll publish one assignment each week and illustrate the post with, say, one to three of my photos, with a goal of being more inspirational than educational.  I anticipate stopping with a list of 50 (a nice round number) or 52 (once a week for a year) assignments.

At least that's the plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment