Monday, January 6, 2014

2013 Favorites: Simplicity

This is the fourth post about some of my favorite shots of last year.

There are other reasons to like these photos, but I like that they're simple.


This is a spur-of-the-moment shot that I took looking straight up at an event at our local amphitheatre.  I don't remember who was giving away balloons or how these escaped.


It's one of those things that is subject to change, but right now this is probably my favorite shot of the year.  This church is not far from our house but is just slightly off the beaten path so I don't see it all that often.  One morning, I passed it on my way to somewhere and noticed the great side-lighting from the early sun.  The next day I went back with a camera.

The sky was cloudier and grayer than the day before and had a jet trail running through it.  I went ahead and took some shots anyway - including this one from a low point of view - figuring I could come back and try again.  At home, I quickly went to B&W because there wasn't much compelling color with the gray sky and white siding.  All of sudden, I didn't hate the sky any more.

I've actually used this in three distinctly different crops, which is unusual for me.  My "main" version, for a long time was a 1:1 crop that cut out the right side, leaving an interesting off-center symmetry.  The background on my phone is a vertical 9:16 crop of just the center of the photo.  And then there is the view I'm displaying here.


No comments:

Post a Comment